People & Stories / Gente y Cuentos’ Programs
“At a Glance”
- A People & Stories / Gente y Cuentos series consists of eight, 90-minute sessions.
- Each session is led by a trained coordinator who reads the story aloud and facilitates the discussion.
- Participants have their own copy of the story and follow along or sometimes participants will simply listen to the story being read.
- During the discussion, participants are encouraged to share their insights, personal experiences, opinions and interpretations.
- Each participant receives a binder to collect the stories read over the course of the series; this binder belongs to each participant.
- At the end of the eight-session seires, participants receive a certificate of participation and a brand new anthology of short stories.
- Some of the authors we read include: Alice Walker, Junot Diaz, Louise Erdrich, Tim O’Brien, Langston Hughes, Gabriel García Márquez, Eudora Welty, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Gish Jen, Dan Chaon, Guy de Maupassant, Haruki Murakami and Raymond Carver.